Protecting the environment is a high priority in all our activities in the ACT. We monitor and continuously reduce our CO2 emissions, Hazardous waste, sea water monitoring, oil spillages, and reduce our energy consumption.
We are committed to the efficient and responsible use of energy and materials in all our activities, ACT comply with all applicable local and international laws, regulations and ethical standards.
Port Environmental Review System
The ACT has achieved Port Environmental Review System (PERS) certification from the European Sea Ports Organization (ESPO). In 2014, the ACT was the second Mediterranean port outside Europe to receive this certification.
ISO 14001:2015 Certification
In 2016 the ACT received ISO 14001:2015 certification. This is an international standard for an environmental management system (EMS) that helps businesses such as ACT to control and improve practices that are potentially harmful to the environment. ACT is the only company operating in Jordan to have received the 2015 version of ISO 14001:2015 EMS certified.
ISO 14001:2015 certification also bring added benefits, including: reduced costs through efficient use of materials, management of legal compliance by prioritizing environmental risks, reducing the possibility of duplication of efforts due to a fully integrated business system, reputational management, leverage of competitive advantage, and ease of integration with other international certifications.
In 2016, the ACT Environmental Monitoring System was also recognised by Lloyd’s Register, a reputable certification body that provides compliance, risk, and technical support. In this audit the auditor recognized ACT’s management commitment, environmental aspects identified and controlled, full legal compliance, employee awareness as well as monitoring programs for sea water, air pollution and noise and disposal of solid waste program.
ACT’s environmental goals and objectives for 2018
- Conduct 5 Environment Drills in 2018 as per the SOP for the Emergency Preparedness and Response Procedure & Drills Plan
- Conduct environmental awareness for 600 employees.
- Applying all elements of Ecoport EMS and follow the external Auditors To determine that the ACT continues to meet the assessment criteria and certificationscope by LRQA at the end of 2018 with Renew subscription within the Ecoport network in ESPO
- Continuously monitor our CO2 emissions with 3% reduction compared with 2017 figures
- Work to treatments all types of spills in friendly environmentally ways in order to reduce the environmental pollution & impacts.
- Maintaining the process of waste segregation for all kinds of waste resulting from the ACT activities.
- Reduce the amount of hazardous waste generated by the Terminal activities by 20% compared with 2017 figures.
- Maintain the environmental management system (EMS) ISO 14001: 2015 with all its requirements. In 2018
- Implementation and to participate effectively in the Activities of the environmental Day "GO GREEN". In 2018
- Sea water monitoring /monthly.
- Air monitoring / Quarterly.
- Noise monitoring/ Quarterly.
- Monthly drinking water test by certified laboratories. /monthly
- Radiation monitoring for containers./ Daily
- Pest control /monthly
- Waste Management / Daily
Oil spill prevention and rapid response
- Oil spill unit for dealing with any Marine pollution incident, with new equipment
- Oil Spill Trailer for containment of chemical spills
- Installing new location for leaking container in yard 4
- Work to treatments all types of spills in friendly environmentally ways in order to reduce the environmental pollution
- Providing all our yards with big bags of white sand for dealing with any oil chemical spillages inside the terminal
- Using the street sweeper or street cleaner in ACT for all yards and roads