The ACT strives to be a safety leader, a responsible corporate citizen and a great employer. It is continually working to enhance safety and risk management. We have made a commitment to further improve and take our HSSE performance to the next level.
The Terminal’s goal of zero fatalities and zero accidents is of major importance. Its commitment is to ensure ‘no harm to people’ and that applies to all our employees, contractors and sub-contractors and visitors.
Between 2014 and 2015 the ACT reduced health and safety-related incidents by nearly one third, registered a 32% decline in workplace accidents, while safety checks and observations were increased by 13% over the same period as new risk management procedures have been put into place.
In 2016, the ACT was named the winner of the Workplace Safety and Health Award by the Jordanian Social Security Corporation.
APM Terminals has identified that 90% of APMT serious incidents in the last few years happened in relation to 5 main areas known within the company as the “FATAL 5”. These standards are the focus continuous improvement, and progress towards implementation will be reviewed within our audit & assurance programs.
- Transportation (We have lots of heavy equipment and vehicles moving around our operations continuously)
- Stored energy (Hazards with potential to release stored energy are in a number of tasks we do)
- Suspended loads and lifting (Loading, unloading and moving containers, materials and goods are daily activities
- Working at heights (By default a lot of our work takes place at height)
- Control of contractors (We employ contractors to carry out most of our highest risk tasks)
The HSSE Department develops guidelines and minimum requirements; it formulates targets for continually improving safety and environmental standards. The department is equipped with the most advanced emergency equipment and a highly trained emergency response team (Fire and Medical) available 24/7.
- Chemical spill equipment gear
- Special PPE & breathing apparatuses
- Emergency Response Fire Tender
- Fully equipped Ambulance
- Emergency Plan and contact List
- HAZMAT (hazardous materials)
- Fire Rescue gear
- Barrier equipment for crowd control
- Fully equipped Clinic
- Periodical health Check for all employees
- Rapid response to emergency cases and provide first aid and medication for all cases inside/outside the clinic