March 24 2020
APM Terminals Barcelona implements a coronavirus action protocol
Following instructions from the Health Ministry, the APM Terminals Barcelona container terminal has implemented a safety protocol to mitigate the possible impact of COVID-19 on the company and the industry in which it operates.
All kinds of measures have been implemented internally to guarantee the safety of APM Terminals Barcelona employees. These include increased cleaning of all points of contact between workers and limiting the presence of internal and external personnel, thus avoiding any interaction as far as possible. When such interaction occurs, the minimum safety distance of one metre must always be respected. A hygiene point has been set up in our security post where staff must wash their hands with soap and water according to the rules.
In the words of the terminal's managers: “At APM Terminals Barcelona we are constantly monitoring the development of this situation and working to perform our activities with the least possible impact for our customers, suppliers and internal staff.” And they add: “Following instructions from the health authorities APM Terminals Barcelona is respecting safety regulations and the minimum distance of between 1 to 2 metres in personal interactions and the mandatory use of gloves”.
APM Terminals Barcelona has also developed an action protocol regarding the interaction of company personnel with the rest of the people in the port community.
Regarding maritime operations, it has been established that APM Terminals Barcelona personnel will assist ships only in exceptional cases. The ship's phone and email are required, along with written confirmation that no crew member has tested positive for coronavirus. Maintenance personnel will board the ship only in the event of an incident, spill or coupling of the spreaders.
For activities within the facilities that require the presence of external suppliers, APM Terminals Barcelona has asked all co-workers for a series of guidelines to limit services to those that are strictly necessary and to check that their activity is authorised before showing up at the terminal.
- Whenever the contact person confirms that the activity is authorised, it will be performed involving as few people as possible and respecting health and safety regulations.
- It is mandatory to wash your hands with soap and water when entering and leaving the terminal;
- A maximum of three people are allowed in the shuttle, one person per row of seats and positioned in a zigzag formation;
- No interaction is allowed with any staff of APM Terminals or with other groups or suppliers/service providers;
- PPE is not to be loaned to suppliers/service providers;
- The company has closed the external dining room and does not allow access to common areas either.
- In short, all suppliers/service providers who come to work are expected to do the same, interacting with as few people as possible and always maintaining a safe distance.
Terminal alerts provide you with real-time, personalised operational updates via SMS or email.