South Asia Gateway Terminals (Pvt) Ltd., better known as SAGT is located at the port of Colombo’s Queen Elizabeth Quay in Sri Lanka. The port is ideally located on the main East-West shipping route. The terminal features some of the most advanced terminal handling equipment and tracking technology in the world.
South Asia Gateway Terminals (SAGT) is a joint venture on a 30-year Build-Operate-Transfer (B.O.T) concession which commenced on 5 September 1999. The majority shareholder is Sri Lankan conglomerate John Keells Holdings. APM Terminals has a 32.81% share. Other shareholders include Evergreen International SA, Peony Investments SA and the Sri Lanka Ports Authority.
The terminal is located in the port of Colombo at the renowned and historic Queen Elizabeth Quay. The port’s natural geographic location is strategically positioned on the main East-West shipping route, linking the Far East with Africa, Europe, and the East Coast of the US, providing ideal connections to the trade in the Indian sub-continent. This makes the Port of Colombo a superb strategic hub.
Equipment and Facilities
SAGT features some of the most advanced terminal handling equipment and tracking technology in the world. This expertise together with a highly skilled and self-motivated team keeps SAGT fully geared to meet the complex requirements of modern commercial shipping.
- Access channel: 16m
- Draft: 15m
- Berth length: 940m
- Container berths: 3
- Ground slots: 5,544
- Reefer plugs: 540
- Super Post Panamax Quay Cranes: 9
- Post Panamax Quay Cranes: 3
- Rubber Tyred Gantry Cranes: 31
The smooth operation of all terminal activities is guaranteed via a state-of-the-art IT network which assists in monitoring all movements of transshipment containers within and between terminals. SAGT operates ICT systems, which are fully integrated with minimum redundant manual data entry being performed, thereby achieving world-class terminal efficiency and productivity levels.
- State-of-the-art network security systems
- NAVIS N4 terminal operating system (TOS) with NAVIS XPS vessel and yard planning system
- Computerized maintenance Management system (CMMS)
- Fully featured remote disaster recovery centre
- Psion Teklogix radio data terminal network
- DGPS based container position detection system
- SAGT ePort Internet Information Exchange Service which provides Electronic Billing and real-time information to customers
- Standards based EDI facilities
Safety and Security
The Port of Colombo is one of the first ports in the region to obtain International Ships and Ports Facility Security (), and Compliance.