On June 28, 2004 a joint venture between APM Terminals (44%) and Bolloré Ports signed a concession agreement with the Autonomous Port of Douala (DIT) to manage, operate and develop container handling at the port.
Since 2005, investment has helped modernize infrastructure, increase container storage areas, acquire new equipment, and optimize the terminal operating system. Between 2005 and 2017 the volumes at the terminal have more than doubled from 131,994 TEU to almost 386,367 TEUS. This equates to average annual growth of 15%.
- Container wharf: 660 m
- General cargo wharf: 1,800 m
- Draught: - 6,5 m + tidal range
- Container yard: more than 26 ha
- STS (Ship-to-Shore) cranes: 2
- Mobile harbour cranes: 2
- Reach stackers : 14
- Storage capacity: near 18,000 TEUs
- Annual capacity: 530,000 TEUs
Douala International Terminal is compliant with the International Ship and Ports Facility Security (ISPS) code. Some of the steps taken to ensure compliance include:
- Access control: electronically controlled turnstiles facility for staff and users of the terminal.
- Identification at all entrance gates of any person needing a pass or access.
- A 10% search rate at the entrance gates of any vehicle authorized to access the terminal.
- A Government approved security plan
- Security trainings at least once quarterly.
- At least one major security exercise per year.
- Two certified PFSO on the terminal.
- A Security unit alongside DIT employees trained based on the recommendations of part B of the ISPS code.
- A reliable and well secured safety recording.