Established in 2013, APM Terminals Inland Services Kenya offers a 7.3-hectare inland container freight station (CFS) 4 km from Kenya’s primary port of Mombasa. The facility is one of East Africa’s largest and most technologically advanced CFS operations, with direct rail links to the port and the key markets of Nairobi and Kampala.
Offices of the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) as well as a banking facility for clearing terminal and custom’s charges are all located on-site. APM Terminals Inland Services Kenya handles bonded containers for the Kenyan market as well as containers in transit to neighboring countries. Motor Vehicles and Project Cargo are also handled at the CFS.
The facility, a joint venture with a local Kenyan company, Great Lakes Ports, is the only facility that controls the movement of containers from Vessel To CFS. As soon as your Import Agent lodges the Bill of Lading with APM Terminals, our team at the Port ensures your container is transferred directly from Vessel to Rail Head, avoiding the congested Port Storage area, and coordinates the Rail move to our CFS.
The facility has two 600-meter railway lines which can accommodate four trains simultaneously. Each train movement replaces approximately 40 truck movements, alleviating overburdened Mombasa road networks and reducing time spent by importers picking up cargo at the point.
It is the only CFS in Mombasa to offer Secure Transfer of containers by rail within two days, avoiding road congestion and truck queues at Port. Weighbridges delay road trucks delivering to Nairobi by 24 hours at cost 1 Day's additional interest on Cargo not delivered.
At a glance
- Security systems, CCTV, Police, fully fenced, 24 hour Manned Gates
- Fast rail link within 48 hours from Port to Container station
- Direct rail link to Nairobi & neighbouring countries
- Banking services onsite
- Efficient yard operations & control
- Extended opening times
- Reliable equipment
- Onsite offices for KRA, KEBS, KEPHIS, Police & Equity Bank
- APM Terminals control containers from Ship to CFS
- No premium transport costs, limit congestion
- No agent release delays
- No additional storage or haulage wait time
- Settle disputes promptly & avoid cargo delays
- One control point
- No additional port fees
- No claims, cargo loss & lower premiums