The Moín Container Terminal (MCT) is built on an artificial island off the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. Operational since February 2019, it is one of the most efficient ports in Latin America and a symbol of security and progress, in harmony with the environment.
The Moín Container Terminal has an annual capacity of 1.2m TEU and covers around 40 hectares (with a potential for 2.5m TEU and 80 hectares) with a 650-meter quay and a draft of 14.5meters. The access channel is 18-meters deep. Equipped with 29 electric rubber tyred gantry (eRTG) cranes and six Super-Post Panamax gantry cranes (23 container outrech) the terminal is capable of handling container ships of up to 8,500 TEUs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.
At a glance
- Ability to serve container ships of up to 8,500 TEUs (Twenty foot Equivalent Units).
- Uninterrupted operations 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Reduction in the logistical costs due to economies of scale.
- Reduction in waiting and docking times.
- By Phase 2A, capacity to handle four times the size of the ships it currently handles.
- In later stages, the largest design ship: New Panamax, with 13,000 TEUs will be able to be received.
- Attract investment as a consequence of a port that is efficient, effective and high-tech.
- Socio-economic development of the region due to direct and indirect employment opportunities.
During Global Safety Day 2022, APM Terminals’ industry-leading commitment to protecting its people, business partners, the communities we work alongside and the customers we serve, by ensuring our operations are carried out safely and securely with minimal impact to the environment every single day. This year’s focus was on one of our three principles: We learn and adapt.
Hours of Operation
24/7, 365 days per year
Equipment & Facilities
✔ Area: 40 Ha
✔ Quay: 650
✔ Draft: 14.5m
✔ Access channel: 18m
✔ Reefer plugs: 3,800
✔ Ship-to-Shore Cranes: 6
✔ eRTGs*: Max load capacity 41 tons
✔ Warehousing: Under development
✔ Cold-Chain Facility: Under development
* Electric Rubber Tyred Gantry Crane
With an APMTerminals.com account you can:
- Receive Terminal Alerts via email or SMS
- Save containers to a Watchlist and set up email notifications
- Manage Truck Appointments (specific terminals)
- Request additional services (specific terminals)