APM Terminals Pipavav is committed to the protection of the Environment and makes continuous efforts to promote the environmentally sound management of its Port operation and encourage the optimal use of natural resources.
- Mangroves plantation: 88 Acres in Port premises, 500 Ha in Surat & Bharuch.100 Ha in progress for 2015-2018.
- Quarterly monitoring of Coastal water.
- Clean practices adopted in operation of bulk handling to reduce spillages and protect marine life from foreign materials.
- Improvements through technological upgrades, supported by effective management processes and employee involvement.
- Implementation of global guidelines for Spills RA and OSCP as per local Rules.
- Start of green procurement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Encouraging green procurement.
- Reducing energy losses through energy usage reduction drives, has resulted in energy savings of 20% in routine use.
- Replacement and modernization of equipment/parts with energy efficient equipment. Replacing conventional street lights & high mast fixtures with LED fixtures resulted in an energy saving of 47% for street lighting and 60% for high masts.
- Electrification of RTGs, resulted in reduction in on site flue gas emission and savings of fuel.
- Periodic WALKABOUT for energy conservation.
- Consideration of energy conservation in new design/new projects.
- Measuring & monitoring drive for water usage reduction.
- 100% utilization of treated domestic waste water for development of Green Belt, resulting in ZERO discharge and reducing fresh water demand for development of green belt.
- Rain water harvesting is in place.
- Dedicated & specifically designed WASTE MANAGEMENT CELL for storage of all types of wastes.
- Segregation of all types of wastes, environmentally sound management of solid & hazardous wastes.
- ‘Quantification of wastes ‘& ‘segregation at source’ drive is on, which has resulted in a 20% reduction in quantity of waste that goes for final disposal.
- Resource recovery; maximum recovery of solid & hazardous wastes reduces waste that goes to landfill site, reducing burden on the environment.
- Adopted practice of REUSE, REDUCE, RECOVER & RECYCLE of waste.
- Awareness programmes for source segregation and handling procedures for Port residents & Port employees.
- Scientifically designed WATER CURTAIN for Coal Yard protects ambient air.
- All other yards provided with wind screens and tree cover to protect atmosphere from wind-blown dust.
- Periodic monitoring of ambient air.
Green Belt development
- 12 % of port area covered by Green Belt.
Training & awareness
An environmental sustainability awareness and communications strategy is currently being developed for the Port.
- Introductory session on environment conducted for all Port employees.
- Specific training on environment for particular workgroup initiated.
- Awareness programme on source segregation, waste minimization, waste handling procedures, water consumption reduction is being conducted for Port residents.
- Mass mailing to quickly raise awareness among all Port employees on worldwide day for the Environment.
Sustainability and setting up of an environmental management system are other tools currently being implemented to improve the Port’s environmental performance.