The Suez Canal Container Company (SCCT) is strategically located at the mouth of the Suez Canal – offering zero deviation from one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world – and creating unique access to key markets in the East Mediterranean and Egypt.
The completion of a dredging project, which deepened the terminal’s draft to 16.5 meters, and 21 super-post Panamax cranes means that SCCT is capable of handling the largest containerships in the global container industry. SCCT is the only facility in Egypt able to accommodate vessels of 15,500 TEU and above.
SCCT opened in 2004 on a 49-year concession. It is a Joint Venture with APM Terminals the majority shareholder (55%) and operator. Other key shareholders include Cosco (20%), the Suez Canal Authority (10.3%) and the National Bank of Egypt (5%).
SCCT has its own Engineering Training Lab. The aim from the lab is to combine theoretical knowledge with practical experience in equipment automation and technology. Trainees who use the lab will be able to use these systems to gather the real, practical experience that they need to work independently in the terminal environment and contribute to terminal productivity.
The lab is equipped with state-of-the-art testing tools supplied by FESTO Didactic co., the world-leading provider of equipment and solutions for technical education, offering holistic education solution for both mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Ship-to-Shore Cranes: 21 (Max lifting capability 90 tons/52.5m above rail/ 23 container rows)
- Rubber Tired Gantry Cranes (RTGs): 66
- Quay Length: 2,400 m
- Terminal Area: 1,200,000 m2
- Terminal Capacity: 5.4 million TEU
- Reefer Plug Points: 3,636
- Allowable Draft Alongside: 16.5 meter
At a glance
- Reduced transit times to major Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea markets, in particular to and from Asia.
- One of the few real privatized terminals in the region
- State of the art equipment and IT/EDI
- Simplification of tariff and local procedures
- Local government backing in developing the region and promoting employment.