Crane & Engineering Services
Crane & Engineering Services (CES) was established in 2009 as an independent business created from the Technical Services Department of APM Terminals, one of the world’s leading container terminal design, management and operating companies.
The CES headquarters is located in Shanghai, home to some of the world’s leading manufacturers of harbour cranes and related equipment. While the CES team continue to be responsible for crane engineering, quality assurance, commissioning supervision and crane assessments for the APM Terminals Global Port, Terminal and Inland Services Network, it also services external clients.
- Assistance in the generation of technical specifications and tender documents;
- Proposal evaluation and recommendation of potential suppliers;
- Support during contract negotiations;
- Development of Functional Descriptions;
- Project Management from awarding of the contract to crane commissioning;
- Engineering design review;
- Electrical, structural and mechanical inspections throughout manufacturing process at the manufacturing facility;
- Commissioning supervision at both the manufacturing site and the destination terminal;
- Maintenance and repair of cranes and other cargo handling equipment;
- Renovation of cranes and crane parts;
- Emergency and warranty-related repairs;
- Inspections and assessment of existing cranes.
A 60-person staff, led by Managing Director, Kay Geithner, represents the combined hands-on experience of over 300 years in crane engineering and procurement procedures in over 50 ports and 22 countries on five continents.
Technical functions include specialists for all relevant disciplines, including mechanical, structural and electrical engineering. Experienced mechanics, electricians, technicians, supervisors and maintenance engineers have been added to the CES team as the business unit has expanded its scope and capabilities.
Maintenance and repair services
Maintenance and repair services for cranes and cargo handling equipment are also offered, enabling CES to offer a unique all-encompassing service scope to our clients.
Over the past eight years the CES staff has been responsible for the successful delivery of more than 150 STS cranes and more than 300 RTGs to over 30 facilities around the world, including some of the industry’s newest, largest and most technologically advanced container ports and terminals.