Capable of receiving vessels up to 8,500 TEU, Congo Terminal (Port of Pointe-Noire) provides access to the Congo Basin’s 100 million inhabitants. It is also an ideal transhipment hub on the West African coast.
Located in the Gulf of Guinea, halfway between Cape Town in South Africa and Dakar in Senegal, Congo Terminal is at the crossroads of the major maritime routes of Europe, Asia and America. It is the only deep-water port in the subregion with direct access from the sea.
Accessible day and night (night markers), it offers attractive navigation and anchoring facilities compared to other ports in the sub-region. Its 84 hectare basin opens onto the bay through a 180 m wide entrance pass, extended by an access channel of 1,200 m and dredged to -16.50 m.
The 27-year concession for the Port of Pointe Noire Container Terminal was signed in December 2008, by the Bolloré Group. The Congo Terminal management company was immediately established, in which the Bolloré Group holds 51% of the capital and APM Terminals 22.5%.
As part of an ongoing 570 million-euro investment, the latest terminal operating systems (OSCAR) have been implemented together with a new 270m quay with a depth of 16 meters. Existing quays, storage and yards have been upgraded to support additional volumes.
The terminal has its own power plant, full video surveillance and biometric access controls to meet the highest security standards. Investments have helped increase volumes from 150,000 TEUs in 2009 to more than 600,000 TEUs to date, with a maximum capacity of 1.2 million TEU.
- Total quayside: 1,500 m
- 4 berths: G1 250m; G2 / G3 280m; G4 270m; D 720m
- RORO storage capacity: 570 vehicles
- Draught: - 16 m
- Containers park: more than 32 hectares of storage (5-high stacks)
- Logistics zone connected to railroad network and maintenance workshop: 5 ha
- Gantry quay cranes: 14
- Mobile Cranes: 4
- RTGs: 34
- Reach stackers: 26
- Annual Capacity: 1,200,000 TEU
- Reefer plugs: 882
- ISO 9001/2015 Certification
With an APMTerminals.com account you can:
- Receive Terminal Alerts via email or SMS
- Save containers to a Watchlist and set up email notifications
- Manage Truck Appointments (specific terminals)
- Request additional services (specific terminals)