Terminal Safety & Rules
APM Terminals seeks to continuously to improve our safety performance, we evaluate our performance and set challenging goals on an annual basis.
We set a number of key performance indicators (KPIs) that measure safety performance, both in terms of personal safety – the safety of our employees and any other people who could be affected by our activities – and in terms of the safe design, operation and maintenance of our facilities.
Truck drivers and contractors must follow our Terminal Rules (pdf) at all times.
Safety Trucker Education Program (STEP)
Any driver entering the terminal will have to demonstrate that they are familiar with the safety regulations and terminal rules. A trucker safety video is provided below. We ask that you take some time to watch the video, prior to entering our facility for the first time. For new drivers entering the terminal for the first time accompanied by an instructor, please complete a training drivers access form.
Breaches of Safety and Terminal Rules
We take safety very seriously. Truck drivers who do not comply with our safety requirements and terminal rules (such as miss-parking a chassis) will be banned from the terminal and asked to pay a fine of up to $1,000 for repeat offenses. Before being allowed back into the terminal you will be asked to attend a Safety Trucker Education Program (S.T.E.P.) class in person at APM Terminals Los Angeles. Online test submissions will no longer be available from Friday, April 15, 2022.
- Location: 2500 Navy Way Terminal Island, CA, The room is located in our Administrative Building in the Cataline training room, in the Cafeteria.
- Class Dates/Time: Every Friday starting April 22 from 3:00 to 3:30 pm
- No prior registration is required to attend this class.
- Fines can be paid at Please use the banned truck license plate number as the citation number.
Container Inspection Process
Drivers wanting to inspect the inside of an empty container must go to the Flip Line and inform terminal personnel; it is prohibited for drivers to open container doors. These instructions are indicated on the routing tickets for driver awareness.
Please also remind your drivers that being out of their cab in non-designated areas will result in a Safety Fine, a ban from the facility, and the requirement to attend S.T.E.P. class.
With an APMTerminals.com account you can:
- Receive Terminal Alerts via email or SMS
- Save containers to a Watchlist and set up email notifications
- Manage Truck Appointments (specific terminals)
- Request additional services (specific terminals)